TGA Internet site archive
The content on this page and other TGA archive pages is provided to assist research and may contain references to activities or policies that have no current application. See the full archive disclaimer.
Report of a review of advertising therapeutic products in Australia and New Zealand
25 June 2003
A review of advertising therapeutic products in Australia and New Zealand was undertaken in 2002 to develop an advertising scheme, including approval and complaints processes, that could be adopted as part of a trans-Tasman therapeutic products agency.
The Review addressed administrative arrangements for advertising. It did not address the policy issue of Direct to Consumer advertising of prescription medicines.
The consultant, Mr Mike Codd, consulted a wide range of stakeholders in Australia and New Zealand during the course of the Review. A final report is now available (see below for contents).
The Advertising Report will form the basis for the development of a trans Tasman therapeutic products advertising scheme.
- Section 1: Introduction
- Section 2: Present regulatory arrangements in Australia and New Zealand
- Section 3: The challenge - and associated problems
- Section 4: The objective
- Section 5: The advertising code and associated industry codes of practice
- Section 6: Streamlining assessment processes for pre-approvals of advertisements
- Section 7: Streamlining processes for handling complaints
- Section 8: Appeals
- Section 9: Consistency and transparency
- Section 10: Definitional issues
- Section 11: Governance arrangements
- Section 12: Impact analysis (costs and benefits)
- Section 13: Legal issues and legislation
- Section 14: Implementation plan
- Appendix A - Terms of reference of the review of advertising therapeutic goods in Australia and New Zealand
- Appendix B - Members of the working group and expert group that supported review
- Appendix C - Participants in advertising review consultations - Australia and New Zealand
- Appendix D - Draft report of a review of advertising therapeutic products in austRalia and New Zealand
- Appendix E - The establishment of a risk-based pre-approvals system as part of a Trans Tasman therapeutic goods advertising scheme
- Appendix F - Pharmacy forum - self- regulation and advertising and price information
Content last updated: Wednesday, 25 June 2003
Content last reviewed: Thursday, 5 May 2011
Web page last updated: Thursday, 22 November 2012